Re: LOCKDEP: 3.9-rc1: mount.nfs/4272 still has locks held!

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Mar 08 2013 - 09:01:46 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - the "freeezer for suspend/resume on a laptop"
>
> [...]
>
> The second one is unlikely to really use NFS anyway. [...]

<me raises a hand>

Incidentally I use NFS to a file server on my laptop, over wifi, and I close the lid
for the night. It's NFS mounted soft.

If it was mounted hard I wouldn't expect the lid close event to result in a
successful suspend if wifi went down - but with soft I would be pretty sad in the
morning if batteries drained if I closed the lid after there's a power outage which
took down both wifi and the laptop power supply.

Closing the lid while on battery is a pretty strong command from the user.

Arguably this is a special case on several levels as on desktop distros it's not at
all easy mount NFS shares (all point & click automation goes to Samba shares), just
wanted to mention it.

Thanks,

Ingo