Re: [RFC 2/8] Don't allow volatile attribute on THP and KSM

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Thu Jan 03 2013 - 11:28:04 EST

On 01/02/2013 08:28 PM, Minchan Kim wrote:
> VOLATILE imply the the pages in the range isn't working set any more
> so it's pointless that make them to THP/KSM.

One of the points of this implementation is that it be able to preserve
memory contents when there is no pressure. If those contents happen to
contain a THP/KSM page, and there's no pressure, it seems like the right
thing to do is to leave that memory in place.

It might be a fair thing to do this in order to keep the implementation
more sane at the moment. But, we should make sure there's some good
text on that in the changelog.