Re: [boot crash] Re: [GIT PULL[ block drivers bits for 3.8

From: Doug Anderson
Date: Wed Dec 19 2012 - 12:53:36 EST

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I presumably happens on pretty much anything that doesn't have
> discard. Of course, I've personally gotten rid of any rotating devices
> I have, but it still sounds like there's a big testing hole somewhere.

For what it's worth, I have tested Linus's patch on my ARM Chromebook
(which was reproducing the divide by 0 yesterday). With the patch the
system has no divide by 0 and still boots fine.

Interestingly enough the divide by 0 appeared to happen at probe time
once for each partition of both the internal eMMC and the external SD
card. Later in the boot sequence the code runs with a non-zero
discard. I'm not familiar enough with this part of the kernel to
speculate why this system behaves differently than the systems that
Jens tested on.