Re: kswapd craziness in 3.7

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Nov 27 2012 - 16:18:30 EST

On 11/27/2012 03:58 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
Note that in the meantime, I've also applied (through Andrew) the
patch that reverts commit c654345924f7 (see commit 82b212f40059
'Revert "mm: remove __GFP_NO_KSWAPD"').

I wonder if that revert may be bogus, and a result of this same issue.
Maybe that revert should be reverted, and replaced with your patch?

Mel? Zdenek? What's the status here?

Mel posted several patches to fix the kswapd issue. This one is
slightly more risky than the outright revert, but probably preferred
from a performance point of view:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/12/151

It works by skipping the kswapd wakeup for THP allocations, only
if compaction is deferred or contended.

--
All rights reversed