memory allocation: smap large "Size", but unused

From: Bernd Schubert
Date: Tue Nov 27 2012 - 13:29:01 EST

Hello,

I'm just investigating why a user space program has a rather large VmSize, but small VmRSS size. Looking into /proc/$pid/smaps I notice several areas with an size of about 64MB, but otherwise that area is unused. So far I did not find a way how to reproduce that with malloc() calls.

7ffd34021000-7ffd38000000 ---p 00000000 00:00 0
Size: 65404 kB
Rss: 0 kB
Pss: 0 kB
Shared_Clean: 0 kB
Shared_Dirty: 0 kB
Private_Clean: 0 kB
Private_Dirty: 0 kB
Referenced: 0 kB
Anonymous: 0 kB
AnonHugePages: 0 kB
Swap: 0 kB
KernelPageSize: 4 kB
MMUPageSize: 4 kB

Any idea how to do such an allocation from user space?

Thanks,
Bernd