Re: vdso && cr (Was: arch_check_bp_in_kernelspace: fix the range

From: Amnon Shiloh
Date: Sat Nov 24 2012 - 07:49:26 EST

Hi Oleg,

> Amnon,
>
> I am going to "ignore" this thread because this is not my area and
> I can't help anyway. Just one note:
>
> On 11/23, Amnon Shiloh wrote:
> >
> > The solution can be to hold all catched signals while in the VDSO page.
> >
> > 1) + introduce a kernel feature to prevent
> > catching signals within the VDSO page (probably a new prctl,
> > or make it the default)
>
> Sorry, never ;)
>
> Oleg.

It's OK with me because I already found a way to work around this that
works for me, but I suspect that other people who write checkpoint/restore
packages may not be able to use my soltion and so they will have a problem
with interrupts occuring within the VDSO page.

I therefore suggested an alternate solution, for all such systems where
applications can be checkpointed on one kernel and restarted on another:
to allow the user to ask for an ultra-compatible VDSO version, which would
be exactly the same on all kernels (from a given point in time) and all
kernel configurations, even if it means a loss of performance. This is
needed for systems where applications can be checkpointed on one kernel
and restarted on another.

It could even be a kernel configuration option: CONFIG_ULTRA_COMPAT_VDSO,
but ideally it should be the user's choice.

Best Regards,
Amnon.