RE: [RFC v3 0/3] vmpressure_fd: Linux VM pressure notifications

From: leonid.moiseichuk
Date: Wed Nov 21 2012 - 08:49:35 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Glauber Costa [mailto:glommer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 21 November, 2012 13:55
So I'll say it again: if this is always global, there is no reason any
cgroup needs to be involved. If this turns out to be per-process, as
Anton suggested in a recent e-mail, I don't see any reason to have
cgroups involved as well.
-----

Per-process memory tracking has no much sense: process should consume all available memory but work fast. Also this approach required knowledge about process deps to take into account dependencies e.g. in dbus or Xorg. If you need to know how much memory process consumed in particular moment you can use /proc/self/smaps, that is easier.

Best Wishes,
Leonid