Re: [patch] x86, UV: integer wrap bug in uv_hub_ipi_value()

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Nov 20 2012 - 12:09:16 EST

On 11/20/2012 08:27 AM, Russ Anderson wrote:

I very much agree. I prefer u32, u64 (etc) because they are
unambiguous. It removes all doubt as to the actual meaning.

Conversly, the fact that "long" has different meanings makes
it at best problematic. Was the code written assuming "long"
was 32 or 64 bits? Having data types that can have different
sizes is just asking for trouble.

In the Linux kernel context, "long" effectively means the native size (size_t/intptr_t/ptrdiff_t).

-hpa