Re: [REPOST-v2] sched: Prevent wakeup to enter critical sectionneedlessly

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Mon Nov 19 2012 - 10:49:06 EST

On 11/19, Ivo Sieben wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2012/11/19 Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > I am wondering if it makes sense unconditionally. A lot of callers do
> >
> > if (waitqueue_active(q))
> > wake_up(...);
> >
> > this patch makes the optimization above pointless and adds mb().
> >

> > But I won't argue.
> >
> > Oleg.
> >

> This patch solved an issue for me that I had with the TTY line
> discipline idle handling:
> Testing on a PREEMPT_RT system with TTY serial communication. Each
> time the TTY line discipline is dereferenced the Idle handling wait
> queue is woken up (see function put_ldisc in /drivers/tty/tty_ldisc.c)
> However line discipline idle handling is not used very often so the
> wait queue is empty most of the time. But still the wake_up() function
> enters the critical section guarded by spin locks. This causes
> additional scheduling overhead when a lower priority thread has
> control of that same lock.
>
> The /drivers/tty/tty_ldisc.c did not use the waitqueue_active() call
> to check if the waitqueue was filled.... maybe I should solve this
> problem the other way around: and make tty_ldisc.c first do the
> waitqueue_active() call?

IMHO yes...

Because on a second thought I suspect this change is wrong.

Just for example, please look at kauditd_thread(). It does

set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);

add_wait_queue(&kauditd_wait, &wait);

if (!CONDITION) // <-- LOAD
schedule();

And the last LOAD can leak into the critical section protected by
wait_queue_head_t->lock, and it can be reordered with list_add()
inside this critical section. In this case we can race with wake_up()
unless it takes the same lock.

Oleg.