Re: [rfc net-next v6 3/3] virtio-net: change the number of queuesthrough ethtool

From: Jason Wang
Date: Mon Nov 19 2012 - 01:19:28 EST

On 11/05/2012 07:46 AM, Rusty Russell wrote:
Jason Wang <jasowang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
This patch implement the {set|get}_channels method of ethool to allow user to
change the number of queues dymaically when the device is running. This would
let the user to tune the device for specific applications.
+ /* Only two modes were support currently */
+ if (queue_pairs == 0)
+ return -EINVAL;
+ if (queue_pairs != vi->total_queue_pairs - 1 && queue_pairs != 1)
+ return -EINVAL;
OK, so you let them do all or nothing, but this three-way test is
pretty unclear.

True, looks like the first check could be removed.

In fact, the whole total_queue_pairs/num_queue_pairs thing is weird (and
uncommented). I think for "total" you mean "max"; the maximum possible
queue pair number.

Yes, "total" means "max", will add a comment or change the name to max_queue_pairs/current_queue_pairs.

Let me go back and review the previous patch again...

Cheers,
Rusty.