Re: PROBLEM: compilation issue, inline assembly arch/x86/kvm/emulate.cfails at -O0

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Nov 14 2012 - 19:14:19 EST

On 11/14/2012 11:45 AM, Blower, Melanie wrote:
[1.] gcc -O0 assembly arch/x86/kvm/emulate.c gets compilation failure -- incorrect register restrictions
[2.] Full description of the problem/report:
I'm trying to compile this file at -O0, but gcc chokes in register allocation at the inline assembly.

In the ordinary Linux build, this file compiles with gcc at -O2, without compilation errors.

Compiling with -O0 is not really expected to work (although -O1 *is*), although what you are reporting is an actual bug ("+a" : "a" should
either be "+a" or "=a" : "a").

-hpa