Re: SR-IOV problem with Intel 82599EB (not enough MMIO resourcesfor SR-IOV)

From: Don Dutile
Date: Mon Nov 12 2012 - 14:47:03 EST

On 11/09/2012 10:26 AM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
[+ linux-pci, Yinghai]

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Jason Gao<pkill.2012@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The BIOS in your machine doesn't support SR-IOV. You'll need to ask the manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade, if in fact one is available. Sometimes they're not.

very thanks Greg,my server Dell R710 with latest BIOS version and
option for SR-IOV(SR-IOV Global Enable->Enabled) opened,I'm confused
that Does R710 provide full support for SR-IOV, kernel or ixgbe
driver's bug? but I'm not sure where the problem lies,anyone has any
experience about this? .

Linux normally uses the resource assignments done by the BIOS, but it
is possible for the kernel to reassign those. We don't have good
automatic support for that yet, but on a recent upstream kernel, you
can try "pci=realloc". I doubt this option is in CentOS 6.3, though.

Try moving the device into a different slot.
You may be trying it in a non-ARI slot in the 710; that is a problem
in RHEL6 (needing to realloc bus &/or mem-space).
A non-ARI slot will want to use one bus number per VF.... which will
be problematic.
I know I've seen ixgbe's (& their vfs's) working on a dell 710;
but they may also be one of those systems that has a slot off the ich10
with no ARI support.

If an upstream kernel with "pci=realloc" still doesn't work, please
post the entire dmesg log.