Re: Debugging system freezes on filesystem writes

From: Marcus Sundman
Date: Thu Nov 08 2012 - 18:42:03 EST

On 07.11.2012 18:17, Jan Kara wrote:
On Fri 02-11-12 04:19:24, Marcus Sundman wrote:
On 01.11.2012 21:01, Jan Kara wrote:
On Mon 29-10-12 00:39:46, Marcus Sundman wrote:
Hello,

I have a big problem with the system freezing and would appreciate
any help on debugging this and pinpointing where exactly the problem
is, so it could be fixed.

So, whenever I write to the disk the system comes to a crawl or
freezes altogether. This happens even when the writing processes are
running on nice '19' and ionice 'idle'. (E.g. a 10 second compile
could freeze the system for several minutes, rendering the computer
pretty much unusable for anything interesting.)

Here you can see a 20 second gap even in superhigh priority:
# nice -n -20 ionice -c1 iostat -t -m -d -x 1 > http://pastebin.com/j5qnh2VV

I'm currently running 3.5.0-17-lowlatency on the ZenBook UX31E,
using the NOOP I/O scheduler on the SanDisk SSD U100. The chipset
seems to be Intel QS67. I've had this same problem on 3.2.0 generic
and lowlatency kernels.
These are Ubuntu kernels. Any chance to reproduce the issue with vanilla
kernels - i.e. kernels without any Ubuntu patches?
I'm afraid it's going to take a week to compile a kernel with this
freezing going on, but I suppose I could get another computer to do
the compiling. Or should I install some pre-compiled version? If so,
which one?
You can install anything precompiled. It's just that I want to rule out
some Ubuntu specific patches...

OK, I tried it with a vanilla 3.6.6 -- "uname -a" says "Linux hal 3.6.6-030606-generic #201211050512 SMP Mon Nov 5 10:12:53 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"

Also when you speak of
system freezing - can you e.g. type to terminal while the system is frozen?
Or is it just that running commands freezes?
Typing usually doesn't work very well. It works for a word or two
and then stops working for a while and if I continue to type then
when it resumes only the last few characters appears. Typing in the
console is a bit better than in a terminal in X (not counting the
several minutes it can take to switch to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1)).
I see.

Also, and this might be important, according to iotop there is
almost no disk writing going on during the freeze. (Occasionally
there are a few MB/s, but mostly it's 0-200 kB/s.) Well, at least
when an iotop running on nice -20 hasn't frozen completely, which it
does during the more severe freezes.
OK, it seems as if your machine has some problems with memory
allocations. Can you capture /proc/vmstat before the freeze and after the
freeze and send them for comparison. Maybe it will show us what is the
system doing.

t=01:06 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.pre-freeze.txt
t=01:08 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.during-freeze.txt
t=01:12 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.post-freeze.txt

Also you can try doing:
echo never >/sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
and see whether it changes anything.

It's already set to 'nerver'. I think I configured this in the very beginning when trying to do something about these freezes.

I also have these in sysctl:
vm.swappiness=1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
vm.dirty_ratio = 15
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 8

And /sys/block/sda/device/queue_depth is 1.

Regards,
Marcus