3.6-rc7 32-bit PAE miscalculates dirty page limits

From: Pierre Beck
Date: Sun Sep 30 2012 - 05:38:39 EST

Hi,

there seems to be a bug in either ext4 or VM code triggered with 16 GB memory when compiled with 32-bit and PAE. dirty_background_ratio defaults to 10, dirty_ratio to 20. But in effect, dirty pages are strongly limited (zero or negative?). I observed extreme I/O wait states and slow disk access. A quick cure was to set dirty_bytes and dirty_background_bytes to sane values, overriding the ratios. An educated guess: the result of dirty_ratio calculation is stored as an unsigned 32-bit integer and overflows?

Greetings,

Pierre Beck