Re: [RFC,PATCH] efi: Add support for a UEFI variable filesystem

From: Jeremy Kerr
Date: Thu Aug 30 2012 - 20:42:03 EST

Hi hpa,

Thanks for the review!

However, I have a question... rather than putting the attributes as the
first data bytes, would it be better to make it either part of the
filename (assuming there is at least one character other than / which
can be reasonably relied upon to not be part of the name); for example:

LangCodes,BS,RT

LangCodes,6

This will get tricky when handling EFI_VARIABLE_APPEND_WRITE: this attribute will never appear in the attributes returned by GetVariable(), but may be passed to SetVariable(). If we put attributes in the filename, we'd need to handle writes to both names, and/or have duplicate dentries for each variable. We could do it, but the filesystem interface might be a little messy.

[Supporting append writes is essential for key database updates, which may be signed]

Cheers,

Jeremy