Re: Failure while make modules_install if kmod was compiled with--with-rootprefix set

From: Michal Marek
Date: Thu Aug 30 2012 - 10:37:03 EST

On 10.8.2012 23:50, Arokux B. wrote:
> Dear Mr. Marek, dear all,
>
> I have detected a hidden failure while building the kernel. If
> --with-rootprefix is set for kmod, then depmod will look for modules
> installed at the location $ROOTPREFIX/lib/modules/<version>. The
> kernel build system does not know anything about $ROOTPREFIX, and so
> the wrong directory is created for the test if the hack is needed for
> an older versin of depmod at scripts/depmod.sh:19 mkdir -p
> "$tmp_dir/lib/modules/$KERNELRELEASE". That is why "$DEPMOD" -b
> "$tmp_dir" $KERNELRELEASE will always fail

I think we can revert the hack, because the three-digit version number
will stay for foreseeable future and depmod is not the only tool that
used to rely on this. However, what you describe looks like a bug in
kmod's depmod. -b sets the basedir, depmod should not prepend it with
any compiled-in string.

Michal