Q: What will happen if I insmod a new version driver when it hasalready been statically in kernel?

From: Yang Bai
Date: Mon Aug 27 2012 - 06:06:47 EST

Hi all,

We have one driver which has been statically compiled into kernel, and
now we want to upgrade it. But we only have a new version module for
this driver. Could I just insmod this module and make the new driver
work?

If so, what happens to the static old one?

If not, Can we upgrade this driver without re-compile the kernel to
make the in-kernel driver out or module?

Thanks,
Yang