Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm tree

From: Michel Lespinasse
Date: Mon Aug 06 2012 - 01:01:10 EST

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Caused by commit 5599fe1ab023 ("rbtree: empty nodes have no color") from
> the akpm tree interacting with commit cde7c325077b ("GFS2: Add structure
> to contain rgrp, bitmap, offset tuple") from the gfs2 tree.
>
> I have applied the following merge fix patch (which is probably not
> sufficient).

You are right that this is insufficient - gfs2 is using
RB_EMPTY_NODE() to check for nodes not being inserted on any rbtree,
so it must use RB_CLEAR_NODE() for initialization.

Will attach a patch as a reply to this.

I am surprised how fast these rb_init_node() calls are spreading.
Should I send Linus a patch removing that function so he could include
it in v3.6 and avoid having to deal with all these new uses ?

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
A program is never fully debugged until the last user dies.