Re: [tip:perf/core] perf/x86: Fix USER/KERNEL tagging of samples

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jul 31 2012 - 14:12:59 EST

On 07/10/2012 02:48 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

We could read out the current GDT [the SGDT instruction] instead
of looking at gdt_page.

Then we'd have to decode that descriptor, the limit. Decide
whether the selector points to the GDT or LDT. All the fun x86
legacies that we mostly forgot already after two decades of
running the kernel in flat linear mode...

In 32-bit mode there are actually instructions that do that work for you.

-hpa