Re: Oops after merge of tty-next

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Jul 24 2012 - 17:48:14 EST

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 15:51:03 +0100
Ian Abbott <abbotti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2012-07-21 23:41, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:07:06 +0100
> > Ian Abbott <abbotti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm getting an Oops in the linux-next tree today after the merge
> >> of the remote-tracking branch 'tty/tty-next'. I bisected it down
> >> to commit 36b3c070d2346c890d690d71f6eab02f8c511137 in
> >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git :

Ok Greg you can you leave that one in -next but not push it for 3.6.

I need to go over this in some detail and figure out the remaining
race, and worse yet how to fix it without the mess of existing locks
turning it into something nasty.

I think I understand what is needed but I don't want to be doing it as
a mad panic for 3.6. On the bright side I think it explains the other
tty lock splitting mysteries.

Alan