Re: [RFC 0/2] virtio: provide a way for host to monitor critical events in the device

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Tue Jul 24 2012 - 01:17:00 EST

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:32:39 +0200, Sasha Levin <levinsasha928@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As it was discussed recently, there's currently no way for the guest to notify
> the host about panics. Further more, there's no reasonable way to notify the
> host of other critical events such as an OOM kill.

I clearly missed the discussion. Is this actually useful? In practice,
won't you want the log from the guest? What makes a virtual guest
different from a physical guest?

Guest watchdog functionality might be useful, but that's simpler to
implement via a virtio watchdog device, and more effective to implement
via a host facility that actually pings guest functionality (rather than
the kernel).

Cheers,
Rusty.