Re: RFC: Easy-Reclaimable LRU list

From: Kamezawa Hiroyuki
Date: Sat Jun 23 2012 - 00:47:40 EST

(2012/06/22 15:57), Minchan Kim wrote:
Hi John,

On 06/22/2012 04:21 AM, John Stultz wrote:

On 06/18/2012 10:49 PM, Minchan Kim wrote:
Hi everybody!

Recently, there are some efforts to handle system memory pressure.

1) low memory notification - [1]
2) fallocate(VOLATILE) - [2]
3) fadvise(NOREUSE) - [3]

For them, I would like to add new LRU list, aka "Ereclaimable" which
is opposite of "unevictable".
Reclaimable LRU list includes _easy_ reclaimable pages.
For example, easy reclaimable pages are following as.

1. invalidated but remained LRU list.
2. pageout pages for reclaim(PG_reclaim pages)
3. fadvise(NOREUSE)
4. fallocate(VOLATILE)

Their pages shouldn't stir normal LRU list and compaction might not
migrate them, even.
Reclaimer can reclaim Ereclaimable pages before normal lru list and
will avoid unnecessary
swapout in anon pages in easy-reclaimable LRU list.

I was hoping there would be further comment on this by more core VM
devs, but so far things have been quiet (is everyone on vacation?).

At least, there are no dissent comment until now.
Let be a positive. :)

I think this is interesting approach. Major concern is how to guarantee EReclaimable
pages are really EReclaimable...Do you have any idea ? madviced pages are really
EReclaimable ?

A (very) small concern is will you use one more page-flags for this ? ;)

Thanks,
-Kame