Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 0/8] perf tools: Minimal build without libelf dependency(v2)

From: David Ahern
Date: Fri Jun 22 2012 - 11:18:33 EST

On 6/22/12 9:05 AM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
Hi Peter,

2012-06-22 (ê), 11:47 +0200, Peter Zijlstra:
On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 14:37 +0900, Namhyung Kim wrote:
And then I realized that the perf record needs to know about the
build-id's anyway. :( So I implemented a poor man's version of elf
parser only for parsing the build-id info.

Why? the very first versions didn't know about any of that nonsense :-)
It works just fine as long as you don't go change binaries around.

That said, you did the work already, so no objection, just saying
builtids aren't that important.

I'm not sure I understood you correctly. But 'perf record' needs to know
about the build-id's to save them to perf.data for 'perf report' later.
And 'perf archive' also needs to know about them to select necessary
binaries for the session.

And build-id's are not required for report (-B option for record).

Also, the intent is for a small footprint binary for embedded systems. On such a system I would expect binaries and libraries to be stripped, so no point in running perf-archive.

David