Re: nfs3 problem with -rc{2,3} : blame

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Tue Jun 19 2012 - 12:55:20 EST

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 04:23:23PM +0000, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 12:20 -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> >
> > However you are saying that the problem is there when you compile a
> > kernel with this commit as the head, and it goes away when you compile a
> > kernel with commit 3e9e0ca3f19e911ce13c2e6c9858fcb41a37496c as the head?

Provided I apply 4f97615d as well, so that it compiles, yes.

> > I'm confused as to how a bug in that patch could depend on
> > CONFIG_NFS_V4, but I'll see what I can find.

Thanks

> By the way, I thought your test-case was doing firefox downloads. Do
> those really use O_DIRECT?

I originally saw the problem doing that, but it was on the second
download. Or perhaps third or fourth - I tend not to remember
successful downloads when I've got a lot of packages to check for new
versions. Using my backup script seemed a more reliable way to
trigger a problem (but, only if there is something substantial to
back up, such as a new vmlinuz).

Thinking about this, it is almost certain that between the first
download and the one that failed (several hours later) my backup
script did run, from fcron, so I now think the rsync problem is what
leads to issues when other programs later try to update the same nfs
directory.

Äen
--
das eine Mal als TragÃdie, das andere Mal als Farce