Re: Partitions: Amiga RDB partition on 2 TB disk way too big, while OK in AmigaOS 4.1

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Sun Jun 17 2012 - 08:59:09 EST

Am Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012 schrieb jdow:
> I'll have to make time to look it over, considering I am more or less
> the mommy of the RDBs. Now, 2TB may be a tad beyond the abilities of
> the RDBs to express. Memory insists that the RDBs worked on either
> BYTE or block counts. Your seeing a problem at 2TB suggests it really
> stored bit counts. The numbers are supposed to be unsigned. And whether
> the RDBs store values in blocks or BYTEs is immaterial when you get
> down to it. (The RDBs do store the disk's actual and virtual block
> sizes. The latter is what the filesystem uses.)

Hmmm, I thought any 2 TB limit was gone meanwhile, but then your
argumentation has some merit.

Some hints that it might be gone nonetheless:

| JXFS 64 bit file system
|
| With AmigaOS 4.x a new file system has been introduced called JXFS. It is
| a totally new 64 bit file system that supports partitions up to 16 TB in
| size. It is a modern journalling file system, which means that it reduces
| data loss if data writes to the disk are interrupted. It is the fastest
| and most reliable file system ever created for AmigaOS.

http://www.amigaos.net/content/1/features

Well I asked AmigaOS 4 developers about this issue as well. Lets see what
they say about 2 TB limits.

But nonetheless, I think, Linux should refuse to use a partition that is
clearly out of bound.

Scrubbing the one backup BTRFS that has 360 GiB of data was okay. Also the
fsck´s went well. Well the volume group is not completely full so some
space on the end of the disk is not yet used by it.

I am recreating all my backups on BTRFS volumes now - except maybe the one
thats on the BTRFS volume already and scrubs okay.

Ciao,