Re: [GIT PULL] libsas fixes for 3.4-rc4

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Apr 21 2012 - 19:40:16 EST

On 04/21/2012 03:57 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 5:28 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 15:29 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
These patches, save for the new "scsi: fix eh wakeup (scsi_schedule_eh
vs scsi_restart_operations)" and "Revert "[SCSI] libsas: fix sas port
naming", were all originally posted before the merge
window opened, and have also appeared in -next for the same timeframe.

The commit dates are not that aged (9 days old) because they were
rebased out of larger set of updates that were pending for 3.4.

There is a mix of pure regression fixes and fixes for long-standing bugs
in libsas. Some of the long-standing bug fixes are made worse / easier
to trigger by the new async error handling scheme.

The largest patch in the series is "libata, libsas: introduce sched_eh
and end_eh port ops" it has been on the list since March 10th.

Jack Wang has independently tested this set with pm8001 and reports
success. [1]

Apologies if scsi-rc-fixes was in the process of picking these up. With
-rc4 looming I lost my nerve and pulled the trigger.

Right, so as a point of process, these are SCSI fixes and are supposed
to be going through the SCSI tree. The only urgent one is the revert; I
still have outstanding questions about some of the others.

Up until this feedback I thought the branch was going to be pulled
intact. So, not trying to subvert process, just thought this request
would be seen as helpful since you seem to have been rather busy of
late. Yes, I'd much rather these go through the SCSI tree.

[thread semi-hijacking]

Busy-ness++ :/ I'm a bit disappointed that these one-liner bug fixes for SCSI have not been applied, despite repeated pings:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg58712.html

Over a month has passed with zero comments (or objections), and we've now missed -rc4.

Unless I hear soon, I'll throw them into libata-dev (thus, linux-next) and kick them upstairs.

James has been replying to other stuff on the lists, so I'm not really sure how these basic, one-liner fixes keep slipping by.

Jeff