Re: [RFD] Merge task counter into memcg

From: Alexander Nikiforov
Date: Wed Apr 18 2012 - 23:34:58 EST

On 04/17/2012 07:23 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:45:05AM +0400, Alexander Nikiforov wrote:
between them. Now we have only 1 way to get notification about tasks
file - inotify(), but this approach works only if you work from
userspace with file (e.g. create struct file, for example with echo
$$ /sys/abc/tasks), but when something happens from kernel side
(do_fork()/do_exit) we cannot get any event about group of the
process (we can scan tasks file and count number of PID, or work
with
waitpid(), but IMHO this is ugly solutions)
Wouldn't simply generating FS_MODIFY event on the tasks file do the
trick?

Thanks.

Maybe it will, but in my mind it should be with event. I thought about inotify before my RFD mail. Here we have file update, so FS_MODIFY very natural.
But on the other hand - we have event in memcg, so conventional approach is event.

If this functionality is acceptable in cgroup and FS_MODIFY better, we'll make new patch with this approach.

--
Best regards,
Alex Nikiforov,