Re: Cgroup in a single hierarchy (Was: Re: [RFD] Merge task counterinto memcg)

From: Glauber Costa
Date: Tue Apr 17 2012 - 11:29:22 EST

On 04/17/2012 12:13 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
Pretty similar to the plan that I was thinking about.

* Provide both mechanisms from the kernel while implementing new
features / optimizations with the assumption that there's one
hierarchy.
I believe the static_keys, that we are already using for the tcp
buffers can play a large role here. They can't save us from the complexity of still supporting multiple hierarchies in the mean time, but maybe nothing can.

the only problem with that, is that it is proving itself to be quite fragile. Because cpusets gets a bunch of function calls with the cgroup_mutex held from within the cpu hotplug notifier, this creates a lock dependency between the hotplug lock and cgroup mutex, meaning we
can't call any jump label function patching with the cgroup mutex held.

Neither we seem to be able to defer it to a worker, since it will create a window of opportunity in which the information presented is inconsistent.

Sigh...