Re: [00/11] pr_debug during module initialization

From: Jim Cromie
Date: Fri Mar 23 2012 - 20:13:53 EST

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Jason Baron <jbaron@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 05:01:55PM -0600, jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> This is 3rd revision of the dyndbg modinit patches, previously sent
>> Dec 11.  Patches 1-17/25 sent then were added to driver-core-next,
>> this set reworks the remainder.
>>
>> It implements the "fake" module param approach proposed by
>> Thomas Renninger, back in https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/15/397
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering, if we leave the cmdline parameter: 'ddebug_query=' around
> for a bit before removing it, so it doesn't get dropped too suddenly.
> Perhaps, we add a warning msg, for people that are still using it
> for a few releases warning that it is deprecated, before dropping it.

OK, thats reasonable. I'll explicitly deprecate it in
Doc/feature-removal-schedule. What is the default
deprecation time, 2 releases ?

Assuming this patchset is for 3.4, I'll say 3.6 unless someone disagrees.

> Also, let's add the 'dyndbg=' syntax to Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt.

oops. that got dropped accidentally.

> A previous version had a build-time error if a module used 'dyndbg' as a
> module param - why did that get dropped?

Rusty expressed view that if developers add it, they meant it.
He also said the macro was redundant with another,
but I didnt look further cuz of the 1st point.