Re: [RFC] AutoNUMA alpha6

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Mon Mar 19 2012 - 15:03:13 EST

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 07:47:22PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 19:25 +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/andrea/aa.git;a=patch;h=30ed50adf6cfe85f7feb12c4279359ec52f5f2cd;hp=c03cf0621ed5941f7a9c1e0a343d4df30dbfb7a1
> >
> > It's a big monlithic patch, but I'll split it.
>
> I applied this big patch to a fairly recent tree from Linus but it
> failed to boot. It got stuck somewhere in SMP bringup.
>
> I waited for several seconds but pressed the remote power switch when
> nothing more came out..
>
> The last bit out of my serial console looked like:

btw, the dump_stack in your trace are very superflous and I should
remove them... They were meant to debug a problem in numa emulation
that I fixed some time ago and sent to Andrew just a few days ago.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/andrea/aa.git;a=commit;h=c03cf0621ed5941f7a9c1e0a343d4df30dbfb7a1

You may want to try to checkout a full git tree to be sure it's not a
collision with something else, at that point of the boot stage
autonuma shouldn't run at all so it's unlikely related.

Hillf just sent me a fix for large systems which I already committed,
maybe that's your problem?

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/andrea/aa.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/autonuma

I also added checks for cpu_online that are probably needed but those
aren't visible yet but you don't need them to boot...

If you want to extract the patch and all other patches to apply it
hand, the simplest is to:

git clone --reference linux -b autonuma git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/andrea/aa.git
git diff origin/master origin/autonuma > x

Or "git format-patch origin/master..origin/autonuma"