arm: davinci: USB ethernet

From: Darryl
Date: Mon Mar 19 2012 - 06:53:36 EST

We are currently using a DA850 eval board but will eventually use a custom board to interface host system to davinci using ethernet over USB. We are using 2.6.37 with real-time patches, but a cursory look (have not been able to build yet) at 3.3-rc7 suggests that the issues noted below still exist.

There are currently two issues:

- Documentation/usb/hotplug.txt suggests that the drivers should be built as modules so that such things as loading drivers and, in this case, bringing up the interface, can ge moderated in user-space. However, though the code can be build modular, the drivers are never loaded. I suspect that one or more of the several relevant configs (I see at least these: USB_MUSB_HDRC, USB_MUSB_DA8XX_GLUE, USB_GADGET, USB_ETH, USB_GPIO_VBUS, NOP_USB_XCEIV, USB_ETH_RNDIS, USB_OTG_UTILS) are required to be built in, but cannot seem to determine the correct ones.

- Even when compiling all the driver code built-in, neither the plug-in nor plug-out event is propagated to user space, again, so that the interface can be brought up.

I am happy enough to build-in the driver code, but I still need the ability to bring up the interface. I know that I can use a call to
call_usermodehelper
to get to use-space, but I'd still be faced with where that call would work best.

So, I'm wondering if you have suggestions regarding how to proceed.

Thanks,
Darryl