Re: [rfc][patches] fix for munmap/truncate races

From: Al Viro
Date: Sun Mar 18 2012 - 18:23:37 EST

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 07:07:45PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> Background: truncate() ends up going through the shared mappings
> of file being truncated (under ->i_mmap_mutex, to protect them from
> getting removed while we do that) and calling unmap_vmas() on them,
> with range passed to unmap_vmas() sitting entirely within the vma
> being passed to it. The trouble is, unmap_vmas() expects a chain of
> vmas. It will look into the next vma, see that it's beyond the range
> we'd been given and do nothing to it. Fine, except that there's nothing
> to protect that next vma from being removed just as we do that - we do
> *not* hold ->i_mmap and ->i_mmap_mutex held on our file won't do anything
> to mappings that have nothing to do with the file in question.
>
> There's an obvious way to deal with that - introducing a variant
> of unmap_vmas() that would handle a single vma and switch these callers
> of unmap_vmas() to using it. It requires some preparations; below is
> the combined diff, for those who prefer to review the splitup, it is in
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git #vm

BTW, the missing part of pull request:

Shortlog:
Al Viro (6):
VM: unmap_page_range() can return void
VM: can't go through the inner loop in unmap_vmas() more than once...
VM: make zap_page_range() return void
VM: don't bother with feeding upper limit to tlb_finish_mmu() in exit_mmap()
VM: make unmap_vmas() return void
VM: make zap_page_range() callers that act on a single VMA use separate helper

Diffstat:
include/linux/mm.h | 4 +-
mm/mmap.c | 5 +-