EFI Boot Stub on Removable Media

From: Shea Levy
Date: Fri Mar 16 2012 - 15:30:28 EST

Hello,

I am currently working on making the live CDs for the NixOS distribution EFI-bootable with the EFI boot stub as the bootloader. Is there a recommended way to use a boot-stub enabled kernel on a removable device (where, AFAIK, there is no way to tell the firmware what params to boot with automatically)? Currently, I'm hacking together a really quick-and-dirty UEFI application that reads a parameters file at a pre-defined location and loads the kernel with those parameters, but I'd love a better alternative. Is it possible to embed an initrd in a bzImage after the image is built? Or is there some way to have a CD tell the firmware what arguments to pass to \EFI\BOOT\BOOT{ARCH}.EFI? Or some easy tweak to the kernel source to have it use a set of default parameters in absence of explicitly passed ones?

Cheers,
Shea Levy