Re: [tip:timers/core] ntp: Fix integer overflow when setting time

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Mar 16 2012 - 10:43:09 EST

On 03/16/2012 02:48 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

>> Perhaps we should use the same kind of multiply-and-shift tricks we're
>> doing for jiffies conversion? If nothing else it ought to perform better.
>
> It's not a hotpath where performance matters, but divide by zero does :)

Doing the inverse multiply wouldn't have a divide by zero problem. What
perhaps is more important (and the reason we went to shift-multiply) is
that in addition to being faster, it also avoids unnnecessary overflows.
I would really like to figure out how to do proper shift-multiply for
the 64-bit jiffy conversions too.

-hpa