Re: Regression 3.2 -> 3.3-rc1 10 sec hang at boot and resume, COMRESETfailed

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Feb 15 2012 - 14:18:17 EST

On 02/15/2012 01:31 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
Hey, Jeff.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 01:29:29PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
A module parameter is not necessarily the best/only option.
ahci_platform already has infrastructure set up to deal with
platform-specific quirks. An internal flag seems more appropriate
to enable automatic handling of this on the specific platforms where
it applies (plus the revert Tejun has already mentioned).

The problem is that there's no way to identify the controller in
question, so we can't do this automatically, so might just as well do
it in the simplest way for now. :(

See ahci_devtype[] and ahci_port_info[] in ahci_platform.c for how to do this. Brian would not have to tweak the driver out of tree as claimed; we put all changes in tree, and the platform calls itself "spec-strict-ahci" or whatever string you prefer.

Jeff