Question about loading firmware

From: Larry Finger
Date: Sun Feb 12 2012 - 14:08:30 EST

Drivers b43 and b43legacy both load their firmware from their probe routines, which is a problem with the latest udev implementations, and I'm trying to fix that problem.

The complication is that they need to load several (3 or 4) firmware files. When I tried to use request_firmware_nowait() to load them in parallel, I got warnings that I was trying to create a duplicate name in sysfs. I presume this is because each of the tasks has the same name - I used the default THIS_MODULE value for the first argument. I'm not sure that I could change that - I don't see any examples in the existing source.

If I changed the probe routine to start a workqueue item that called the firmware loading routines, could I safely use request_firmware() in that case? If so, it would be a clean solution.

Thanks,

Larry