Re: Memory issues with Opteron 6220

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Feb 09 2012 - 08:28:49 EST

* Anders Ossowicki <aowi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I went digging through the power management options of the
> bios and found that CPU performance was set to System DBPM[1]
> by default. After switching it to OS DBPM, powernow-k8 seemed
> a lot happier:

Your bootlog says:

[ 0.330000] Performance Events: Broken BIOS detected, complain to your hardware vendor.
[ 0.330000] [Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR c0010200 is 1430076)

Do you get that message if DBPM is enabled?

If the message disappeared then I'd suggest to do what that
kernel message suggests and ask the vendor to disable that BIOS
option by default, it breaks stuff.

Thanks,

Ingo