RE: Memory corruption due to word sharing

From: Boehm, Hans
Date: Wed Feb 01 2012 - 17:20:13 EST

> From: Torvald Riegel
> > Oh, one of my favorite (NOT!) pieces of code in the kernel is the
> > implementation of the
> >
> > smp_read_barrier_depends()
> >
> > macro, which on every single architecture except for one (alpha) is a
> no-op.
> >
> > We have basically 30 or so empty definitions for it, and I think we
> > have something like five uses of it. One of them, I think, is
> > performance crticial, and the reason for that macro existing.
> >
> > What does it do? The semantics is that it's a read barrier between
> two
> > different reads that we want to happen in order wrt two writes on the
> > writing side (the writing side also has to have a "smp_wmb()" to
> order
> > those writes). But the reason it isn't a simple read barrier is that
> > the reads are actually causally *dependent*, ie we have code like
> >
> > first_read = read_pointer;
> > smp_read_barrier_depends();
> > second_read = *first_read;
> >
> > and it turns out that on pretty much all architectures (except for
> > alpha), the *data*dependency* will already guarantee that the CPU
> > reads the thing in order. And because a read barrier can actually be
> > quite expensive, we don't want to have a read barrier for this case.
>
> I don't have time to look at this in detail right now, but it looks
> roughly close to C++11's memory_order_consume to me, which is somehwat
> like an acquire, but just for subsequent data-dependent loads. Added
> for performance reasons on some architecture AFAIR.

It's intended to address the same problem, though somewhat differently. (I suspect there was overlap in the people involved?) One reason that C11 took a slightly different path is that compilers can, and sometimes do, remove dependencies, making smp_read_barrier_depends brittle unless it also imposes compiler constraints.

Hans

¢éì®&Þ~º&¶¬–+-±éÝ¥Šw®žË±Êâmébžìdz¹Þ)í…æèw*jg¬±¨¶‰šŽŠÝj/êäz¹ÞŠà2ŠÞ¨è­Ú&¢)ß«a¶Úþø®G«éh®æj:+v‰¨Šwè†Ù>Wš±êÞiÛaxPjØm¶Ÿÿà -»+ƒùdš_