Re: RCU qsmask !=0 warnings on large-SMP...

From: Steffen Persvold
Date: Wed Jan 25 2012 - 17:51:13 EST

On 1/25/2012 22:51, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:35:15PM +0100, Steffen Persvold wrote:
[]

Yes, 3.2.1 is our debug target right now.

OK, good! Could you please add an "ftrace_dump(DUMP_ALL)" before you
print the first set of error messages? (Preferably set up so that
you only dump once!)

Then before you start testing, could you please enable the
rcu_grace_period and rcu_grace_period_init trace events? This should
get a good picture of the sequence of grace-period-related events leading
up to the failure.

You will need to build the kernel with CONFIG_RCU_TRACE=y.

The usual commands suffice to enable tracing:

echo 1> /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/rcu_grace_period/enable
echo 1> /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/rcu_grace_period_init/enable

This should give some history that might help understand why the previous
grace period ended before the CPUs had all checked in. Maybe even why
the rcu_node structures got advance notice of the new grace period...

[]

Are you talking about the data from /sys/kernel/debug/rcu/ ? I have
CONFIG_RCU_TRACE (and consequently CONFIG_TREE_RCU_TRACE) set, is
this enough to get the event data you want ?

Yep, if you have CONFIG_RCU_TRACE=y, then the two tracepoints should
be available.

It seems that I don't have the /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events interface on the kernel I'm running now. Perhaps I need to enable the CONFIG_FTRACE feature also ? If so what FTRACE interfaces do I need ?

Cheers,
--
Steffen Persvold, Chief Architect NumaChip
Numascale AS - www.numascale.com