Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull NFS client bugfixes and cleanups

From: Wolfgang Walter
Date: Mon Jan 09 2012 - 19:49:04 EST

On Monday 09 January 2012, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 14:28 -0800, Myklebust, Trond wrote:

Hmm, what does that mean exactly? Does a linux nfs4-server support numeric
uids/gids? If yes, by default or do I need do set an option?

> > If your server does support numeric uids/gids, and has the same mapping
between numeric uids/gids and username/groupname as your clients, then you
will see _no_ change in behaviour.

> > If your server does support numeric uids/gids, but the mapping between
> > numeric uids/gids and username/groupname differs between server and client
> > (e.g.. uid=20 maps to different users on the client and server) then you
> > already had a problem in that creating the file using NFSv4 would result
> > in you seeing the wrong owner and/or group. If this case, and this case
> > only, the change to nfs4_disable_idmapper will result in you now seeing
> > the correct owner/group for these files (just as if you were using NFSv3).

The only thing I can say is that in the moment client and server are using
rpc.idmapd and it works perfectly well.

> > IOW: the only people who will want to use the old setting are those with
> > broken servers that return incorrect errors when confronted with a numeric
> > uid/gid. We have found no evidence that any such servers exist during the
> > last full year of testing.
>
> Actually, let me amend that last statement.
>
> The only broken server we found was the Linux server, which was
> returning NFS4ERR_BADNAME in a situation where the protocol specified
> that it should be returning NFS4ERR_BADOWNER. This is why we have the
> little comment "The following works around a Linux server bug!" in the
> client code.
> Commit f6af99ec1b261e21219d5eba99e3af48fc6c32d4 (nfsd4: name->id mapping
> should fail with BADOWNER not BADNAME) fixed that server bug exactly one
> year ago, and the fix was subsequently pushed to stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> IOW: unless you find something earth-shattering when you enable the
> option in your existing clients (the option has existed since 2.6.39),
> I'd prefer to change the default as soon as possible in order to fix the
> existing brokenness for those people running NFSv4 without the benefit
> of an ldap/nis/yp server to ensure a homogeneous uid/gid name space...

I always thought that the idmapper with its translation were exactly for that
case. If I have a homogenous uid/gid name space why would I want to use names
and translate anyway?

Regards,
--
Wolfgang Walter