irqsafe_cpu_...() 64-bit operations on 32-bit platform

From: Jan Beulich
Date: Fri Dec 23 2011 - 04:28:58 EST

Christoph,

you introduced these for 2.6.33, but I wonder about their completeness
in the current state: On ix86, I can add, sub, xor, etc a 64-bit variable
this way (through the generic implementation), but there's no way to
read or write such a variable. While not documented explicitly, it seems
like the assumption is that this_cpu_{read,write}() can be used for this
purpose, but that's clearly wrong.

Along the same lines, Ingo, x86 has set_64bit() but no get_64bit()
(and no [gs]et_64bit_local()). Is that really intentional?

Thanks for your thoughts on this,
Jan