Re: sparc: __mcount_loc already exists

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Dec 21 2011 - 17:22:07 EST

From: David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:58:05 -0500 (EST)

> From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 08:59:03 +0100
>
>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 08:51, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Note that I deleted 5238 lines about "__mcount_loc already exists", to avoid
>>> my email being rejected.
>>
>> I anyone planning to fix this? It only happens for sparc64/sparc-allmodconfig,
>> and appeared in v3.2-rc3.
>>
>> linus: http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5167232/
>> linux-next: http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/5166753/
>
> I'll look into this, thanks.

I cannot reproduce this with gcc-4.6.2 under Debian. This might be a problem
with your 4.4.3 based toolchain.

__mcount_loc is not a symbol, but rather a section that exists in each
object when certain debugging and tracing features are enabled. The
linker should just be merely combining the multiple instances
together, rather than warning that there is more than one instance.