Re: Latest tip kernel(3.2-rc1-tip_cf6b3899) fails to boot on x3850x5machine

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Dec 18 2011 - 03:34:36 EST

* Suresh Siddha <suresh.b.siddha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 00:36 -0800, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > The problem is spuriously re-asking a question that *has already
> > been answered by the user*, and if the user accidentally just
> > accepts the default, the config breaks.
> >
> > We try to keep things working fine across 'make oldconfig', i.e.
> > if the .config worked before, it should work after a 'make
> > oldconfig' as well.
> >

> Ok. So what is the recommended way to do this, for example when we
> change a config option name with no other dependency changes etc?

Firstly, we try hard not to change existing config option names
if possible :-)

Now that it's done i doubt there's any real good option left:
some people have the old config, some have the new. We'll see
how many others are affected, if it's widespread we can
reintroduce the old option or just default-on the feature if
there's some other related feature that was not renamed.

Thanks,

Ingo