perf_event hard locks in 3.1.5

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Fri Dec 16 2011 - 18:09:50 EST

Hello

I had a PAPI user report that perf_event usage (such as running
the PAPI tests) would cause hard lockups on his 3.1.x kernel
(from ARCH linux).

After some tedious bisection of the .config file, I found that the issue
happens when
CONFIG_SLUB=y
CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG=y
is enabled. Having a kernel with that enabled and stressing the
perf_event subsystem will eventually cause lockups or hard crashes.

I'll try to narrow things further, I've run out of time before the
weekend. Just posting this in case anyone else wants to investigate the
problem.

Vince
vweaver1@xxxxxxxxxxxx