Re: Latest tip kernel(3.2-rc1-tip_cf6b3899) fails to boot on x3850x5machine

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Dec 16 2011 - 03:38:30 EST

* Suresh Siddha <suresh.b.siddha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > yes.
>
> Not quite sure if I understand the reported issue.
>
> If the old config file had CONFIG_X86_X2APIC and
> CONFIG_INTR_REMAP set, doing "make oldconfig" on the newer
> kernel is asking if I want the new CONFIG_IRQ_REMAP option to
> be set and if I say yes, then I have both CONFIG_X86_X2APIC
> and CONFIG_IRQ_REMAP set and all is well.
>
> But if I say no, then as expected CONFIG_X86_X2APIC gets
> disabled (as IRQ_REMAP is not selected).

The problem is spuriously re-asking a question that *has already
been answered by the user*, and if the user accidentally just
accepts the default, the config breaks.

We try to keep things working fine across 'make oldconfig', i.e.
if the .config worked before, it should work after a 'make
oldconfig' as well.

Thanks,

Ingo