Re: [RFC] vtunerc: virtual DVB device - is it ok to NACK driver because of worrying about possible misusage?

From: Peter Kolta
Date: Wed Dec 07 2011 - 18:30:17 EST

Honza PetrouÅ <jpetrous <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2011/12/7 Patrick Dickey <pdickeybeta <at> gmail.com>:
> >>>
> > I tend to stay out of these discussions, since like a couple of others,
> > I'm not a kernel developer (or hacker). However, I wanted to chime in
> > with my two cents here.
> >
> > 1. ÂI agree that it's not acceptable to "NACK" purely for philosophical
> > reasons (except when it's a clear violation of a license--be that open
> > source or closed source (since we don't want to open ourselves up to
> > lawsuits).
> >
> > 2. ÂIn this case, there have been technical reasons provided. Granted
> > the developers (and people who are pro-inclusion) don't feel those are
> > justified, but they have been cited.
> >
> > 3. ÂYou'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar (in other words,
> > fighting with the person(s) who maintain the project will most
> > definitely *not* get your code included).
>
> Yes, that I think we all know. But some problem is that the arguments
> against it are very weak. Believe me I would prefer to work on all
> hints which kernel hackers gave me after code reviewing and not
> to be member of flamewar.

I took the time and went through this thread.
I like the idea of supporting the device via network, but I do not like the idea
of having a virtual driver and server separate for this.
Before adding this hackish approach you can do a better design at early stages
right now.

Why can't you just patch the necessary functions of the applications which you
pointed out to access a library? This would totally eliminate the need of the
kernel module. It would greatly enhance the usability of this feature.

> Some features are designed for LAN use. I think nobody wants to use
> SMBFS over Internet. But in LAN it works perfectly stable.

SMBFS does not need to deliver data at a constant bitrate, several companies are
doing that via VPNs.

> As you stated already - maintaining kernel-space code out of kernel
> tree is much difficult. If anybody did any change in internal API, then
> you have to catch it yourself, find the way to change your code
> accordingly. If it would be in kernel, then such job is required to be
> done by patch contributor.

I would not support this attempt, since right now you can do it a better way.
You even named it, streamdev for vdr why don't you improve it?
If you add some transcoding functionality to your idea you can do it all on
application level and even stream it to the internet.
The virtual device seems to be a dead end for me which makes all those things
more complicated in the end.

Peter