Re: [patch v2]numa: add a sysctl to control interleave allocationgranularity from each node

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Dec 06 2011 - 20:42:13 EST

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011, Shaohua Li wrote:

> based on the allocation size, right? I did consider it. It would be easy to
> implement this. Note even without my patch we have the issue if allocation
> from one node is big order and small order from other node. And nobody
> complains the imbalance. This makes me think maybe people didn't care
> about the imbalance too much.

Right, I certainly see what you're trying to do and I support it, however,
if we're going to add a userspace tunable then I think it would be better
implemented as a size. You can still get the functionality that you have
with your patch (just with a size of 0, the default, making every
allocation on the next node) but can also interleave on PAGE_SIZE,
HPAGE_SIZE, etc, increments. I think it would help for users who are
concerned about node symmetry for contention on the memory bus and it
would be a shame if someone needed to add a second tunable for that affect
if your tunable already has applications using it.