Re: [git pull] PCI fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 23 2011 - 18:02:24 EST

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nothing too exciting this time, mostly some minor fixes for things
> normal people don't really hit.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Ugh. This looks bogus:

> Kenji Kaneshige (2):
>      PCI: pciehp: wait 1000 ms before Link Training check

Look at that patch more closely. After the patch, the code looks like this:

if (ctrl->link_active_reporting)
pcie_wait_link_active(ctrl);
else
msleep(1000);

+ /*
+ * Need to wait for 1000 ms after Data Link Layer Link Active
+ * (DLLLA) bit reads 1b before sending configuration request.
+ * We need it before checking Link Training (LT) bit becuase
+ * LT is still set even after DLLLA bit is set on some platform.
+ */
+ msleep(1000);

and I'm pretty sure you should remove the "else msleep(1000)" there.
Doing the 1s wait *twice* seems entirely bogus, even if you are
missing link_active_reporting. No?

I pulled it since I can't test it, but it really smells fishy to me.

Linus