Re: GMA500 support

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Nov 23 2011 - 06:27:22 EST

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:29:10 +0100
Kristoffer Ericson <kristoffer.ericson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Im syncing my gma500 tree to all the patches I see pass through the kernel mailinglist and
> its progressing well.
> However, It would be nice with an todo list or a more practical this-works list. I know
> its not a priority but would simplify alot for end users.

If you configure it in the following should work on GMA500/600
- internal laptop displays including backlight
- external svga
- mode setting via KMS
- framebuffer console
- the framebuffer X server (and once out generally Dave Airlie's generic
KMS X server)
- suspend/resume

The following I know don't work
- Huge external displays so large they won't fit in 8MB at init time
(causes a crash)
- Using the vesa X server with it - this confuses stuff and isn't
fixable, it's a "wrong user configuration"

Unsupported
- 2D hardware acceleration except console scrolling (as it seems to be
too slow to be useful). I may add some 2D bits later where they do help
(eg back to front blitting may be worth it just about)
- 3D engine (no public documentation)
- Video playback acceleration. In theory there is enough info in the
VAAPI code for GMA500/600 that has been published and in the old
'binary X/source kernel' driver to do this but someone will have to
work on it if they want it
- Dell Mini HDMI port. This seems to be some kind of external bridge
chip. Being a TV luddite I don't yet own an HDMI capable display to
test.

And I'm sure we have a few bugs left !

Alan