Re: 3.1+ iwlwifi lockup

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue Nov 22 2011 - 22:34:50 EST

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 06:29:40PM -0800, Guy, Wey-Yi wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 18:45 -0800, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:15:02PM -0800, wwguy wrote:
> > > Hi Dave,
> > >
> > > Sorry for taking so long.
> > > it is a bogus command from the firmware which driver try to process it
> > > and cause problem. I am not sure how it happen. But could you please try
> > > the patch I attach here.
> > >
> > > For now I am just ignore the command, but not sure it is good enough,
> > > might has to reload the firmware, but not sure.
> >
> > With Linus' current tree and this patch, I got a panic pretty quickly,
> > but with a different trace.
> >
> Are you seeing the problem without this patch? I guess the patch I done
> here is not the right thing to do and I try to address the problem too
> aggressively

I've been running Linus' current tree for the whole time and haven't seen
any iwlwifi traces since my initial report on the 11th.

I can't reproduce the bug, even by doing the same operation
(an scp of a dozen photographs).

It seems to happen almost at random, as if it's somehow timing related.
I'm running the patched kernel again now, and it's been fine for the last hour.

Dave